[TUHS] Questions for TUHS great minds

Robert Swierczek rmswierczek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 12:33:03 AEST 2017

Not so long ago I joked about putting a Cray-1 in a watch.  Now that we are
essentially living in the future, what audacious (but realistic)
architectures can we imagine under our desks in 25 years?  Perhaps a mesh
of ten-million of today's highest end CPU/GPU pairs bathing in a vast sea
of non-volatile memory?  What new abstractions are needed in the OS to
handle that?  Obviously many of the current command line tools would need
rethinking (ps -ef for instance.)

Or does the idea of a single OS disintegrate into a fractal cloud of
zero-cost VM's?  What would a meta-OS need to manage that?  Would we still
recognize it as a Unix?