[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Jan 12 09:06:03 AEST 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:57:51PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Joerg Schilling <schily at schily.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Berny Goodheart <berny at berwynlodge.com> wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > >

> > Surely Berny meant the file system switch here, which could have come from
> > early system V, but originated in research Unix (8th edition?). Note that
> > this list is very similar to that in the early part of his book on System V
> > internals.
>
> It is rather a part of the VFS interface that has first been completed with
> SunOS-3.0 in late 1985.

I think you are once again confused.  System Vr3 had something called the
file system switch which is what Berny is talking about.  SunOS had
virtual file system layer (VFS) and that would be one of things ported
to SVr4.

The history on wikipedia matches my memory and contradicts much of what
you've been claiming.  For what it is worth, I didn't write a word of
that wikipedia page so others remember much as I do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIX_System_V