[TUHS] History of select(2)

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Sat Jan 14 02:50:12 AEST 2017

Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> writes today at Fri, 13 Jan 2017 10:13:47 +0100:

>> By 1979 there were 90 nodes (IMP's) and about 200 hosts connected.

I just checked my archives of our TOPS-20 PDP-10 filesystem (retired
31-Oct-1990); the oldests hosts.txt file has a filesystem timestamp of
30-Apr-1986, with 3210 lines, of which 3124 are hostnames (98 of them
at the University of Utah).  The comment header says

	; DoD Internet Host Table
	;  28-Apr-86
	;  Version number 534

If someone / some site wishes to collect hosts.txt generations for a
historical record, let me know offlist, and I'll supply a pointer to a
copy of my file.

Sadly, it looks like we just replaced PS:<SYSTEM>HOSTS.TXT with a new
generation from time to time, purging previous generations (a legacy
of the days when a washing-machine-sized 200MB disk drive and cabinet
cost US$15,000).