[TUHS] 2.11BSD cross compiling update

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 18:05:28 AEST 2017

Yes, you are right, it is quite tedious. And yes, your idea is a good
one, and it echoes more or less the direction my thoughts have been
going in recent days. Originally I thought I'd only use the "cross_"
prefix where there were clear system-to-system differences (like in
the a.out stuff and the timezone stuff), then later I thought I'd use
the "x_" prefix everywhere, but I have realized as you say, this is
going to get annoying very quickly. It would be much better to be able
to work on the non-prefixed files, as it would feel much more natural.

So, in hindsight, given my decision that it's turned out to be too
much work and for too little benefit to port the cross toolchain to
glibc (as opposed to porting to gcc which is a given), it might have
been better to tackle it how you say. But on the other hand my "x_"
approach does have certain good points, which I will explain. Let's
consider the "stat" system call which some of the cross tools use.
Under my scheme I'll provide a prefixed version of "stat". Checking
"x_stat.h" in the 43bsd.git repo that I mentioned in my previous post,
I see this:

struct  x_stat
{
        x_dev_t x_st_dev;
        x_ino_t x_st_ino;
        x_unsigned_short x_st_mode;
        x_short x_st_nlink;
        x_uid_t x_st_uid;
        x_gid_t x_st_gid;
        x_dev_t x_st_rdev;
        x_off_t x_st_size;
        x_time_t        x_st_atime;
        x_int   x_st_spare1;
        x_time_t        x_st_mtime;
        x_int   x_st_spare2;
        x_time_t        x_st_ctime;
        x_int   x_st_spare3;
        x_long  x_st_blksize;
        x_long  x_st_blocks;
        x_long  x_st_spare4[2];
}

There are also some defines like "x_S_IFMT" which I will ignore for
brevity, but anyway the prefixed "stat" call will look something like:

#include <sys/x_stat.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>

x_int x_stat(char *x_pathname, struct x_stat *x_statbuf) {
        struct stat statbuf;
        if (stat(x_pathname, &statbuf) == -1) {
                x_errno = (x_int)errno;
                return -1;
        }
        x_statbuf->x_st_dev = (x_dev_t)statbuf.st_dev;
        x_statbuf->x_st_ino = (x_ino_t)statbuf.st_ino;
        ... fill in all other fields ...
        return 0;
}

Obviously, this gets a bit tedious too, and it also ignores issues
like converting the errno or what if ino_t is wider than x_ino_t...
but I think it will work sufficiently well for the cross toolchain.
With your suggestion I have no good way of creating a translation stub
like the above, because both "struct stat" will have the same name...
there are also lots more issues, like for instance some modules would
be compiled with "-nostdinc" and the like, plus other modules being
the translation stubs, would not... then all would be linked together,
the translation stubs would pull in the regular C library and there
would be conflicts everywhere. I think the "x_" prefix is the way to
go, but as you say it's a bit tedious, so I'll probably create
something like "x_cc" which automatically "xifies" the given C sources
to /tmp and then runs "gcc".

For the standalone utilities like "restor" it is less of an issue
since they are going to be compiled into a kernel subset and
everything will use the same "struct x_stat" so no translation will be
necessary. In the latter case, I'll provide emulated disk and tape
drivers which have an "x_" prefixed entry point to be called from the
kernel, but then revert to non-prefixed code which uses the native
Linux system calls like open(), read() and so on, and which I will
lift out of SIMH. So although the emulation backend is much simpler in
this case (it only has a few entry points, it doesn't need to provide
system-call-like services), it will still be much easier to write if I
have access to the "xification".

Another issue is the C types, since most code is written to use
"short", "int" and "long", a nice feature of the "xifier" is that it
changes this to "x_int" and therefore lets me change the width. It's
not a perfect emulation since pointers are still a different size and
the automatic promotions will be wrong (and varargs functions need
some massaging because of this). But it still substantially cuts down
the porting work that I have to do. I manually fixed up all this stuff
in the C compiler before, it was a big job and I still can't say
definitely it's robust.

cheers, Nick

So,