[TUHS] Article on 'not meant to understand this'

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Tue Jan 17 01:35:19 AEST 2017

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017, at 06:26, Angelo Papenhoff wrote:
> I don't think it's the context switching in general that we're not
> expected to understand, since it's pretty much the same in v7 but the
> comment is gone. Dmr actually explained the problem on his website
> (https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/odd.html). savu is used to save
> the current call stack, retu is used to switch to a saved call stack.
> The problem is that the function which did the savu was not necessarily
> the same as the function that does the retu, so after retu the function
> could have the call stack of a different function. As dmr explained,
> this worked with the PDP-11 compiler but not with the interdata
> compiler. In V7 the stack switching was moved into separate functions,
> save and resume. save retured 0 and resume returned 1 so that an if
> statement could be used to check if the return from save was actually
> that of resume after the stack switch (the same trick as that of fork).
> This way the code that was to be executed after a stack switch was in
> the same function and stack frame as the one that did the save (as
> opposed to swtch).

My impression was that the 'magic' part was that it relied on the C both
process's stacks containing registers saved by the C function prologue
routine [csv, the kernel version can be found in conf/m*.s], and that
the return statement in swtch [which calls cret] restores those
registers. Ritchie alludes to this with "This worked on the PDP-11
because its compiler always used the same context-save mechanism; with
the Interdata compiler, the procedure return code differed depending on
which registers were saved. ", and, well, there's a reason the FreeBSD
cpu_switch function the article mentions is written in assembly rather
than C.