[TUHS] 2.11 pcc with ANSI?

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Tue Jan 17 13:32:49 AEST 2017

Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:52:04AM -0800, Steve Johnson wrote:
> >    It's been done.  Anders Magnusson has done quite a bit to port pcc and
> >    add both ANSI and selected GCC features.
>
> A quick google search reveals:
>
> http://pcc.ludd.ltu.se/
> and https://www.openbsd.org/papers/magnusson_pcc.pdf
> which is a set of slides on the work done.
>
> I've been itching to rewrite PDP-7 Unix in a higher level language.
> I've already designed the language and written a compiler for the PDP-7
> (see https://github.com/DoctorWkt/h-compiler), but the generated code sucks.
> Maybe I should try to retarget PCC, it would be slightly ironic :-)
>
> Cheers, Warren

That would be neat.

For those of us who have moved on from CVS, I have mirror of the
code at https://github.com/arnoldrobbins/pcc-revived.

I tend to sync it with the CVS about once a week.  There hasn't been
much activity on it in the past few weeks.

It's noticeably faster than GCC but I wouldn't say 100x. :-)

Arnold