[TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 14, Issue 63

Jason Stevens jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Tue Jan 17 21:43:11 AEST 2017

Oh wow flashbacks to the joys of using ATM LANE over OC-3 as that 155Mb was "so superior" to 10 Mbit Ethernet and how "straightforward" it was getting pvp's from the phone company and setting up the LECS, BUS, LES, and each LEC.  And how all the consultants scoffed at PC's with 100mbit Ethernet as the old 33Mhz bus couldn't push 100mbit in their crazy minds of thinking all buses push data one byte at a time.  It was great once we started to get Cisco fast Etherchannel on the acquired catalyst switches so we could dump ATM at the core and even better to get those dance Intel NICs that could also FEC for super high bandwidth servers.  It's a shame it took a while to get metroE and ether WAN, but here we are in that awesome future devoid of the disaster of ATM as it couldn't even begin to scale at and beyond OC-128, 10 gig E put an end to all that nonsense.

There was a brief window I made some good money setting up ATM networks, but they all went from oc12 to at the end being over t1 bonds for rural areas.  Can't say I miss it.