[TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 14, Issue 63

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Wed Jan 18 00:21:54 AEST 2017

Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> The highest levels of AT&T were happy to carry digital data, but
> did not see digital as significant business. Even though digital T1
> was the backbone of long-distance transmission, it was IBM, not
> AT&T, that offered direct digital interfaces to T1 in the 60s.

Was T1 a "digital" line interface, or was this rather a 24x3.1 kHz channel?

How was the 64 ??? Kbit/s interface to the first IMPs implemented?

Wasn't it AT&T that provided the lines for the first IMPs?

I was always wondering how they could provide such a "high speed" line in the
1960s.

I hope somebody knows this....

Jörg

--