[TUHS] Questions for TUHS great minds

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Wed Jan 18 05:55:04 AEST 2017

Ah, the notion of clock speed...   For 75 years we have designed
circuits with a central clock.   For the last 10 years, people have
gone to great length to make a billion transistors on a chip operate
in synchrony, using techniques that are getting sillier and sillier
and don't provide much benefit.  For example, at lower voltages and
thinning wires, chips become dramatically more temperature sensitive,
so all kinds of guard bands and additional hardware gook is required
to make the chips function correctly.   There are some very
interesting technologies that are not clock based, scale well, are low
power, and perform well over wide variations of voltage and
temperature,   The problem is they would require a completely new
set of design tools, and the few players in this area don't want to
rock the boat.

It's not necessary to go that far, however.  Our chip has no global
signals and will probably be faster than 6 GHz.

Steve