[TUHS] [TUHS} PDP-11, Unix, octal?

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:36:12 AEST 2017

A question about 36 bit machines....

In some of the historical accounts I've read, it seems that before the
PDP-11 a pitch was made for a PDP-10 to support the then-nascent Unix
efforts. This was shot down by labs management and sometime later the
PDP-11 arrived and within a decade or so the question of byte width was the
creatively settled for general purpose machines.

The question then is twofold: why a PDP-10 in the early 70s (instead of,
say, a 360 or something) and why later the aversion to word-oriented
machines? The PDP-7 was of course word oriented.

I imagine answers have to do with cost/performance for the former and with
regard to the latter, a) the question was largely settled by the middle of
the decade, and b) by then Unix had evolved so that a port was considered
rather different than a rewrite.  But I'd love to hear from some of the
players involved.

        - Dan C.