[TUHS] Oracle euthanizes Solaris 12, expunging it from roadmap

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Fri Jan 20 04:17:08 AEST 2017

Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> I suppose that set of rumours will lead to people shifting to the FOSS versions
> of Solaris and SPARC.

I would be happy if we had a commonly accepted OSS line for OpenSolaris
development.

The current problem is that the payers in that game all have commercial
interests and removed many parts from the sources that they believe are not
needed anymore.

Another problem is that the closed source i18n parts of libc in Illumos have
been replaced by a FreeBSD implementation version that is not POSIX compliant.

So for today, there is development but only in order to meet particular
interests.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin