[TUHS] Oracle euthanizes Solaris 12, expunging it from roadmap

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sat Jan 21 09:50:45 AEST 2017

Kay Parker 	  <kayparker at mailite.com> wrote:
 |I'm running fedora25 beside my Linuxmint 18.1 installation. fedora25
 |means fully featured systemd and wayland on the top of the super fast
 |Linux (kernel) 4.9.
 |Linux thats were the story goes. Solaris etc. just running behind in the
 |past.

Well i am currently running Alpine on the server (i can't recall
the name of the init system they use at the moment, it is what
Debian had and Gentoo i think still has; i don't like it, e.g., it
cannot perform proper restart if one of the processes fails to
stand up again, you have to start them all one by one, then, which
is -- let aside how complicated it is to program and maintain such
an init system, it is a science! -- mysterious to me given that it
gets the dependencies right in normal conditions, and has so much
state laying around; and note it will run FreeBSD again at some
later time, it was just that i haven't really cared for Linux
since i have discovered FreeBSD 4.7, and really felt i need to
learn about it again after so and so many years, and then it was
2016, and it was clear what that would mean, and then it was David
Bowie, etc.

And CRUX-Linux, which is totally underrated, and uses a wonderful
unagitated BSD-like approach, i'm looking forward for their new
3.3, in a not too distant future!  And VoidLinux, which has a very
fine package manager and uses runit, which i think is a really
pragmatic, smart, and very small, init system that also is
completely underrated.

I hope all these systems can survive the very way their developers
drive them up the road.  I couldn't say, i really love the BSD
way, but of course the Linux kernel is _so_ supportive, i really
like CRUX.  And Void, it is not even graphical no more by default.
ArchLinux i have, too, in fact it is my main system since my main
machine died.  Arch uses systemd.  Yes, i don't like systemd.
Void is even more surfing the edge than Arch as of today, isn't
that amazing?  It has a shutdown time of 1 second.

  Linux wales 4.8.13-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 9 07:24:34 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  Linux irish 4.9.5_1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 20 14:48:47 UTC 2017 i686 GNU/Linux

--steffen