[TUHS] Package Management

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 03:46:20 AEST 2017

Perhaps I should have been more specific - I was referring to something
akin to Ultrix's setld or IRIX's inst, a user-friendly utility to
view/install/upgrade OS components as well as applications.

Ultrix setld first appeared in 2.0, which was 1987.  As far as I can tell,
IRIX inst appeared at about the same time.  A quick look through some
manuals shows that SunOS 3 (same timeframe) appears to have had a
user-friendly initial setup program but it's not clear to me if it could be
used after an installation to deinstall/modify/upgrade/etc.  I know almost
nothing about early HPUX, AIX, Domain/OS, etc. and hopefully some folks who
used them might be able to chime in.

And yes, setld is pretty bad.  I remember it being painfully slow on real
hardware, and it's still somewhat slow on emulated hardware.

-Henry