[TUHS] Early Internet work (Was: History of select(2))

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 11:34:41 AEST 2017

This is a wonderful find, is it possible for you to read the other tapes
also?

I would be particularly interested in the early 8080 compiler, I am
actively working on something like that at the moment. I have quite
extensively reverse engineered the famous Ritchie PDP-11 C compiler to
figure out how it works, it is actually pretty straightforward and I may
write a document about it someday (the code is a bit horrible due to the
many exceptional cases added to improve the output in particular
situations, all this has to be ignored in order to get at the underlying
algorithm which is elegant).

Steven Schultz or someone else also seems to have begun a PDP-11-targeted
port of the of 4.3BSD VAX-targeted PCC backend, I can't see myself
completing this but I was considering trying to adapt the Ritchie pass2 to
understand PCC intermediate code instead of Ritchie pass1 intermediate code
and using it more-or-less as-is as a PCC backend. There is no requirement
that a PCC backend use the PCC instruction table or macro format and in
this case it would probably be simpler if it did not. But one or other of
these backends has to be ported to Z180 (~= Z80 ~= 8080) and I'd be
thrilled to have a starting point.

I will also eventually pick up the 68K compiler too although I believe some
pretty good PCC based 68K C compilers will be extant due to late versions
of BSDs having been developed on 68K (I could be wrong about the BSDs and
68K but I am sure many unices ran on 68010+ and even a few on 68000 using
the famous second CPU chip to handle faults).

cheers, Nick