[TUHS] PDP-10 in the news today

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Jan 31 23:26:36 AEST 2017

    > From: Lars Brinkhoff

    > several debuggers called RUG and CARPET

SYSENG;CARPET > and SYSENG;KLRUG > (and also SYSEN2;URUG >).

CARPET runs in the PDP-10, and talks to the 11's via the Rubin 10-11 interface
on MIT-AI (which let the PDP-10 see into the PDP-11s' memory); it installed a
small toehold in the 11 (e.g. for trap handling). There was also a version
(conditionalized in the source) called "Hali" ("Hali is Carpet over a [serial]
line") - 'hali' is Turkish for 'carpet' (I wonder how someone knew that).

RUG runs in the front-end 11 on the KL (MIT-MC). URUG is a really simple
version of RUG that runs in a GT40, and use the GT40 display for output.

There's also 11DDT (KLDCP;11DDT >) - not sure why both this and KLRUG exist -
unless RUG was for the front-end 11, and 11DDT was for the I/O-11?

	Noel