[TUHS] origin of the name 'glob'

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Sat Jul 8 13:04:22 AEST 2017

Doug would probably be a better source, but, as you know, grep stands
for global regular expression print.  This is a literal translation
into words of a common idiom in vi (and ed before that):  g/xxx/p
which prints all the lines that match xxx.  The g means that it finds
all lines, rather than just searching for one.

Since glob tends to match more than one thing, but not in the usual
way, I suspect that it is a shortening of "global regular expression
print"  (with no print, and not, strictly speaking, the usual regular
expression syntax either)...

As to why regular expressions are called "regular" expressions, that
happened long before Unix...

Steve