[TUHS] Regular Expressions (was Re: origin of the name 'glob')

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Mon Jul 10 08:06:35 AEST 2017

If you haven't seen it, check out Ken Thompson's brilliant paper on
compiling regular expressions.  The date was 1968... In effect, he
built a JIT to do regular expression searches (on an IBM 7094, no
less!).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjika38mP3UAhVT2WMKHd3FAEcQFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fing.edu.uy%2Finco%2Fcursos%2Fintropln%2Fmaterial%2Fp419-thompson.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFTSoOmBGBOl-DdCqUAv5dLLuuQPg

The earliest reference is a paper by Kleene in 1956.   In fact, I
recall that * was sometimes called "the Kleene star" in the day...

Steve