[TUHS] Array index history

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Thu Jun 8 23:53:44 AEST 2017

Original PR1MEOS was a weird beast.   Not just Fortran, but FortranIV which
is beyond the array index issues is far from a language I'd want to have to
build a lot of low level contructs in.   No structured aspects of it at all
(indeed, this was the impetus for RATFOR, though I don't think Prime ever
saw it).    They didn't stay with Fortran long.   They wrote their own PL/1
variant called PL/P a scheme also implemented at UNIVAC (PLUS) and IBM
(PL/S).    I would venture that C was the only systems implementation
language that made the leap into a general purpose language.