[TUHS] Array index history

David david at kdbarto.org
Fri Jun 9 04:20:24 AEST 2017

Arnold gets it right on the Pascal indexing.

In UCSD Pascal you could specify any array bounds you would like and
the compiler would 0 base them for you by always doing a subtraction,
or addition if your min was negative, of your min array index. So a little
run time cost for non-zero based arrays.

I’m not sure how other Pascal compilers did this.

I find it interesting that there are now a slew of testing programs
(Valgrind, Address Sanitizer, Purify, etc) that will add the ‘missing’
array bounds checking for C.

	David