[TUHS] Was 5ESS built on UNIX?

Corey Lindsly corey at lod.com
Wed Mar 1 05:30:16 AEST 2017

> I have looked at the papers published in the AT&T Technical J. in 1985
> and found no mention of UNIX.
>
> N.

Certainly so. I don't know what the call-processing module ran, but on the
Administration Module side it was real-time UNIX running on a 3B20D (D for
Duplexed). I even have a bunch of source code for it on microfiche
somewhere, although I probably should not admit to this.

When I lived in Philadelphia in the early 1990s Temple University tried to
give me one of their 3B20S (S for Simplex) systems that was being
decommissioned. The size of several refrigerators, lamentably, I was not
able to give it a home. I hope it found one ..

--corey