[TUHS] AIX/370 Questions

jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Thu Mar 2 13:51:47 AEST 2017

I’ve actually loaded AIX 1.3 for the PS/2 on a model 80 decked out with 16MB of RAM, and an Ethernet board, and honestly It was ‘yet another SYSV’ and it didn’t feel like it had much in common with AIX 3.1 on the RS/6000.  As always by the time I had gotten all the needed bits, Linux was a thing, running Unix on a 386 with ESDI disks felt horribly slow, and Linux had much better support for stuff.  Although if I had the machine when it was the thing to do it’d have been awesome.  Not that I’d probably ever get access to a 370, let alone AIX for the 370 + those i860 boards.

The 80 was a great machine, just too bad that I’m sure they called it the model 80 as it must have weighed 80Kg, and I couldn’t take it with me when I left North America.

Back when I used to work for a certain bank that loved mainframes, they would always harp on about how Unix & C were not only untested, but simply not ready for an environment like the S/390.  As far as they were concerned if it didn’t boot on a mainframe it wasn’t “production grade”.  Oddly enough we also ran things like Novel Netware for VMS (Wish I could have imaged those tapes...), although they were kind of OK with AIX on the RS/6000, but never for anything ‘real’.  It wasn’t until after I had left that I found out that there actually was mainframe UNIX, and if it would work with our ‘awesome’ global SNA network and zillions of terminals it would have been all the better.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10