[TUHS] Source code abundance?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Mar 4 09:12:41 AEST 2017

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 03:28:27PM -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
> The question is what happens to the code that got from AT&T but did not
> use.  I'm going to be hypothetical here, Larry correct me to the specifics
> please as I never saw Solaris sources, but SVR4 had Streams Networking in
> it.   Let's say the Solaris pulled that out like we did at Stellar with
> SVR3 and put a BBN or BSD style stack back in and never shipped the streams
> code.   The Network stack they did publish would be available, but what
> about the AT&T version?

I can't speak to the legal stuff but Solaris shipped with
Convergent/Lachman's TCP/IP stack.  Briefly if at all.  Then Mentat was
contracted to do a higher performance TCP/IP which was a bloody mess if
I recall correctly.  Full of "fast paths" that worked around the STREAMS
shortcomings.

Sun would have been far far better off doing what you did at Stellar.