[TUHS] Source code abundance?

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Mon Mar 6 03:54:28 AEST 2017

jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa) wrote:

>     > From: Wesley Parish
>
>     > I think the best thing for all would be the release of the Unix SysV
>     > source trees under a suitable open source license.

> Any volunteers to make something actually happen?

As mentioned before, Sun in theory had the right, but this did not include the
networking code and code that includes code from Xenix (e.g. ls.c).

Now that Oracle bought Sun, there is few chance even for that because Oracle is
not known to be OSS friendly.

The other rights owner was SCO....

SCO has been OSS friendly. SCO created the historical UNIX license and a bit
later, I was able to convince SCO to make SCCS OpenSource and got a "final"
OK in April 2001. But in May 2001, SCO was sold to Caldera Linux and the new
owner was not OSS friendly and canceled the agreement.

This caused a delay for making SCCS OpenSource, as I now had to convince Sun
and succeeded in December 2006.

Now that a judge ignored the contract between Novell and SCO and followed the
oral claims from a Novell employee, it seems that somebody would need to
convince Novell. I doubt that this will have a chance to work.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin