[TUHS] [TUHS} communication files: interprocess IO before pipes

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Mon Mar 6 18:05:44 AEST 2017

Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> It's not really Unix history, but Dartmouth's "communication files"
> have so often been cited as pipes before Unix, that you may like
> to know what this fascinating facility actually was. See
> http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~doug/DTSS/commfiles.pdf

Thanks! That was a very interesting read.

As a general remark, the historical discussions here of late have been
very interesting (if voluminous :-).  I think it's increasingly important
to preserve as much of this history as possible.  I've enjoyed reading
about some of the systems I never worked on, such as ITS.

Arnold