[TUHS] Source code abundance?

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Tue Mar 7 02:20:46 AEST 2017

ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sun copyrights in it :-) I always thought it was an interesting code base
> -- they seemed to get preemptability right from the start, for example. As
> it was explained to me, IBM did a full implementation from manuals of both
> the kernel and the commands.

While some of the commands look like they have been taken from AT&T sources,
there are bugs that make it obvious that people tried to implement things from
Manuals:

-	uname for AIX-7.1 e.g. prints something that makes you assume you are
	on AIX-1.7. This is because the uname man page from AT&T is missleading
	and missunderstand the meaning of "revision" and "version".

I remember that around 1990 people called AIX either "Ain't unIX" or
"Alien unIX". For the latter there was also the claim that one alien read the
AT&T man page and told another alien on the phone how he expects things to be
correct.

The kernel definitely looks like it was written from scratch.

The fact that there are functions like "issig()" make it obvious that the
authors did have access to at least the V6 kernel via the Lions book.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin