[TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Wed Mar 8 03:45:47 AEST 2017

I ran Taylor UUCP on a small BBS system (3 lines!) I ran from my
apartment in Deer Park, NY, circa 1991-1994 - USENET node kilowatt

It was on System V R4 by Consensys on a 486-33 and later a 486DX2-66 -
but some things were badly broken, so much so that things like UUCP
weren't even usable. I don't remember why. Might have had something to
do with the devices.

So Taylor it was. I have version 1.04 source code.

Hooked up to Motorola (mcdhup) in Hauppauge for USENET news and email,
using a Telebit Worldblazer, and then disseminated it to various other
small USENET nodes.

I had quite an interesting routing setup for the mail system included
with SVR4 (mailsurr?) that would take the UUCP maps posted in
comp.mail.maps, run them through pathalias and construct a complete path
to every node in the map. It was the only way I knew of to deal with
multiple systems I could connect to that would in turn also connect to
multiple other USENET nodes. I had no definitive "smart host".