[TUHS] fortran compiler, in assembly, for pdp-11

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Mar 8 07:05:07 AEST 2017

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> /usr/source/fort

​Ah - that is the old Research compiler before f77.   I'm not even sure it
will compile a full Fortran-IV deck.   As I said, pretty early into USENIX
look in the CULC directory and you should find a FTN compiler and the DEC
assembler. That was the compiler many of used until the pcc/f77 showed up.

Years later, when DEC released Ultrix, the languages groups formally
supported Ultrix.  Besides being more modern versions of the compilers, is
they supported the old VMS linker, which was ported to both the 11 and the
Vax by Paul Winalski. ​  Not only did he get it run on Unix, he got it work
with a.out, and macho files too.  I don't remember if he could grok ELF
with it (he would know - maybe I can convince to join this list).   He will
carry a lot of DEC history in the middle times, when I was doing startups.