[TUHS] UUCP History [was Re: Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD]

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Mar 8 15:23:14 AEST 2017

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Dan Cross wrote:

>       Was this the UUCP that was available for CP/M?  I found it on the
>       old Walnut Creek CD, moved it over to my CP/M box via SneakerNet
>       (I ran CP/M for years, carefully avoiding DOS/WinDoze) and it
>       worked; it was overlaid to hell and back hence really slow, but it
>       worked.
>
> Maybe? Though I tend to doubt it. It looks like Waffle originally ran on
> the Apple II, but was fairly quickly ported to DOS and then Unix/Xenix.
> I believe it was written in C, but the source code is not generally
> available. More information on it is here:
> http://software.bbsdocumentary.com/IBM/DOS/WAFFLE/

No; that doesn't ring any bells with me.  It was definitely for CP/M, for
the Australian Microbee, but I have since lost the CD and the floppies.

And the most amusing thing about the Microbee (yeah, getting OT here) was
that serial comms was done by bit-banging on a parallel port...  9600
half-duplex, or 2400 full-duplex.

I tried to bring up KA9Q with a view to getting SLIP working, but no.