[TUHS] UUCP History [was Re: Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD]

jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Wed Mar 8 19:47:39 AEST 2017

Don’t forget for the longest time, if you wanted updated drivers, or anything from a vendor, you had to call their BBS.  Lots of long distance calls to California for that.. Or staying up until 3am to get cheaper LD rates.

In modern times Synchronet has been ported to Linux and Win32/Win64 machines, and is almost too easy to setup, along with it’s DOVENET which uses FTP to copy messages around.  It’s still active to this day.

I’m strange so I have an OS/2 Virtual machine, and I use SIO virtual modems on an old copy of Synchronet.  Because of y2k issues I can’t send messages, but I can receive them.  But since I’m on OS/2 2.00 I can run MS-DOS based doors without issues....

There is also HECnet, a VPN or ip tunnelled DecNET for DEC enthusiasts.  However they just keep a separate mailing list, as far as I know there is nothing inside of the network itself.

Maybe as a crazy idea we could revive B-NEWS, or C-NEWS or something along those lines.... Something geared to old PDP-11’s running Unix v6?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10