[TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD

Josh Good pepe at naleco.com
Thu Mar 9 07:20:43 AEST 2017

On 2017 Mar  7, 18:27, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> LMFAO.
>
> By the way, that list was done with:
>
> for a in `ls usr/lib/mail/surrcmd` ; do echo $a `strings $a | grep
> kremvax`; done | grep kremvax
>
> I did a strings on the smtpd earlier today looking for something else
> and noticed right near the end was kremvax and started investigating.
>

> On 3/7/2017 6:19 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> >On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> >
> >>Why do all these mail binaries on SVR4 x86 have "kremvax" hard coded into
> >>them?
> >>
> >>/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtpqer kremvax
> >>/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/tosmtp kremvax
> >>/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtpd kremvax
> >>/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtp kremvax
> >Now you've done it, comrade; that was the secret back door...

It seems to be something "special" about the flavour of SVR4 you are
running.

That "kremvax" is not there on UnixWare 2.1, see this screenshot:

https://s17.postimg.org/il0ehai3j/kremvax.png

PD: Do you per chance happen to know how can I install/enable the telnet
server on UnixWare 2.1 "Personal Edition"?

--
Josh Good