[TUHS] "Open" Stanford University Network System, et al [was RT/PC-centric AIX history]

Jason Stevens jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Sat Mar 11 14:09:17 AEST 2017

Totally not offended as I only ask as I know someone here will know more than I do, and sadly the terms for so many things drift, or people like to rebrand things old as new, when it isn't or drift like how openvms was anything but open.

Needless to say the licensing is why there never was any rise of this board being made in Taiwan, and why m68k Minix wasn't ubiquitous.

I've read that Cisco had basically stolen the IP and was forced to pay for it, plus donate lots of free routers and support.

As we are on the path of a old uucp, I was looking through dynamips, a Cisco MIPS and PowerPC emulator, just wondering out loud about the start, and how it seems do much of that known days is like UNIX source, known by the knowing.

I'm very thankful for the list and authoritive answers!  I'm just glad my old playing with simh+ 4.3/4.3 BSD is going somewhere!