[TUHS] B-news source code

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 14:20:24 AEST 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Mary Ann Horton <mah at mhorton.net> wrote:

> So you'd think, but it appears it came first in netnews. Mail/mailx has ~m
> which indents with a tab, not a ">".  Most likely in summer of 1983,
> between 2.10 and 2.10.1.

Wasn't it possible to customize this in .mailrc? Something like, `set
indentprefix="> "`? I'm afraid that doesn't answer the question, but I'm
not sure mailx/Mail as the vector is unreasonable. Is it possible someone
coming from the ARPAnet mailing list world found Unix and brought the
practice in? I'm curious what the standard was on ITS or TOPS-20, for
instance.

        - Dan C.