[TUHS] Linux displacing UnixWare on the PC architecture

Josh Good pepe at naleco.com
Sat Mar 11 21:04:17 AEST 2017

On 2017 Mar  9, 21:26, Josh Good wrote:

> And by the way, the two user limit in the "Personal Edition" of UnixWare
> 2.1 seems to be real:
>
> 	$ telnet 172.27.101.128
> 	Trying 172.27.101.128...
> 	Connected to 172.27.101.128.
> 	Escape character is '^]'.
>

> 	UnixWare 2.1 (gollum1) (pts/2)
>
> 	login: jgood
> 	Password:
> 	UnixWare 2.1
> 	gollum1
> 	Copyright 1996 The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.  All Rights
> 	Reserved.
> 	Copyright 1984-1995 Novell, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
> 	Copyright 1987, 1988 Microsoft Corp.  All Rights Reserved.
> 	U.S. Pat. No. 5,349,642
> 	Last login: Tue Mar  9 20:57:05 1999 on pts000
> 	telnetd: set_id() failed: Too many users
> 	.
> 	Connection closed by foreign host.
>

> This thing was released in 1996. Obviously, with this limitation it could
> not hold a candle to the emerging Linux tsunammi full of free source code.

On the subject of Linux displacing UnixWare on the PC architecture in the
mid-90's, I've found this most illuminating Usenet thread from 1994, whose
participants include Alan Cox, Theo Tso, and some Novell Product Managers:

http://tech-insider.org/linux/research/1994/1025.html

And what came after that, as they say, is history.

--
Josh Good