[TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode

jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Sun Mar 12 16:28:57 AEST 2017

As much as I despise the whole ‘email server is my file server’, the thing is that email clients are cross platform, and an easy way to get data in and out of a server, and out to other people.  SMTP+UUENCODE/MIME is basically the best peer to peer network that is still going strong, since RFC 821 in 1982!  Naturally other email systems existed prior to this, but SMTP let you easily send across the internet, in a method that basically still works to this day, although servers have become more selective on who they talk to, thanks to the rise of SPAM..

I just fired up 4.3 BSD Uwsic, and setup an external DNS, and right away I’m able to send an email, and I’m able to receive it on gmail: