[TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Mon Mar 13 04:22:18 AEST 2017

Back when I was at Sun the attachment thing was all the rage.  Yet
I developed a system, I did my important stuff in roff, I'd attach
the typeset version but I'd make the main message be nroff | colcrt -
output.

Why?  Because while all the "cool kids" liked the attachments, the
execs (they'd be the guys I was trying to convince) just read whatever
the text said.  If they wanted to see the other stuff they forwarded
to their admin who knew how to print it.

I was measurably more effective at getting the execs to do what I
wanted than other engineers.

--
---