[TUHS] Does this mean Linux is now "officially branded UNIX"?

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Tue Mar 14 10:11:04 AEST 2017

That was the thing that tipped me off late in the nineties that Linux was succeeding - only the big
vendors - and Microsoft - were ignoring Linux, everybody else had Linux-compatibility tick boxes.
Particularly when FreeBSD incorporated one such item ...

Then when IBM took Linux to the mainframe, it was pretty obvious that it wasn't solely a hobby OS any
longer.

Wesley Parish

Quoting Josh Good <pepe at naleco.com>:
<snip>
> My theory is that Red Hat sees more value in *not* passing the UNIX
> certification tests. As if thus Red Hat was stating: "Linux is the
> new standard, and Red Hat makes it happen. Anything else out there,
> is just legacy."
>
> And truth be told, probably most (all?) of the "certified UNIX" systems
> on the list have some "Linux compatibility" layer of some kind built
> into them. So compatibility with whom is the compatibility that
> matters?
>
> --
> Josh Good

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn