[TUHS] System Economics (was is Linux "officially branded UNIX")

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Wed Mar 15 01:51:47 AEST 2017

But how far along are we on the Linux timeline, and how far along was
Sun on the SunOS timeline before they stopped developing it?

It's been 23 or so years since my first exposure to Linux.

SunOS started at 1.0 in 1983, and last release was just before 1995. 12
years in total. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunOS

Now, of course, I understand SunOS is based on BSD so there is a lot
more work invested in SunOS before Sun even started on it which adds
another 10 years (maybe less) to the SunOS development timeline. But in
reality, how much of Linux was based on previous works?

Just a thought experiment, nothing more.