[TUHS] System Economics (was is Linux "officially branded UNIX")

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Wed Mar 15 05:48:35 AEST 2017

So what I'm hearing is Linux's timeline, which includes things that were
not developed just for Linux, extends further out than SunOS does.

Again, I'm including everything ... You could make a case for certain
Unixes that do not include a pre-existing C compiler being bounded by
their own development (or any other operating system that needs a
precursor).  For example, say there was an operating system that used a
C compiler to build itself that was developed 10 years before. That
example operating system's timeline would have to include said C
compiler IMHO.

On the other hand, an operating system who's sole method of creation was
engineered in year 0, and was "developed" for 10 years and ended, we
could say that OS's timeline was a solid 10 years.

All I'm saying is comparing Linux's timeline to something like SunOS has
to include everything that went into both because they both relied on
precursors.

Side note: I'm a bit of a bitch when it comes to Linux - which doesn't
mean I don't think Linux is "UNIX" - it just means I think it's the
Coherent of today's UNIX ;)