[TUHS] System Economics (was is Linux "officially branded UNIX")

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Mar 15 06:05:38 AEST 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:

> So what I'm hearing is Linux's timeline, which includes things that were
> not developed just for Linux, extends further out than SunOS does.

​Mumble...  the problem of course is the under those rules, SunOS goes back
to research which goes back to V0....
​

> ​...​
> All I'm saying is comparing Linux's timeline to something like SunOS has
> to include everything that went into both because they both relied on
> precursors.

Except for any possible legal reasons....​why differentiate ?  Looks like a
Duck, Quacks Like Duck or from a Turing Test....  I'm mostly can not tell
the difference.

> Side note: I'm a bit of a bitch when it comes to Linux - which doesn't
> mean I don't think Linux is "UNIX" - it just means I think it's the
> Coherent of today's UNIX ;)

​I guess it doesn't matter to me that much.   Some of the changes are
gratuitous and annoying, which brings out my inner curmudgeon as its make
its tough to type to sometimes.  But the fact is, UNIX, Linux, Macos are
pretty much the same thing - much more so than winders.   They are way more
similar than different and I can be productive with all three. To me its
like ethnicity in people.  It says a little about some of how you might
look at something, what some of you shared positions/starting points are,
but we are way more alike than different and I would rather learn from the
differences than fight them or try to inflict my wishes.  We are better
with diversity.

Clem​