[TUHS] Does this mean Linux is now "officially branded UNIX"?

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Tue Mar 14 20:20:47 AEST 2017

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> ???Or in there case, negative value.   RH likes to have the world believe
> they are Linux.   They don't want anything lessening their brand.
> Certification would make RH < UNIX I suspect which is not what they want.
> Certification has always been about the ISV's, and if they can convince the
> ISV to test on their implementation directly (and they have) they don't
> need it.

RH did make several strange things that did make me wonder whether they are
really an OSS company, but they have a person working in the OpenGroup core
team.

This person (Eric Blake) usually helps to connect to developers from glibc, but
he of course knows about the problems GNU software has with the POSIX standard.

He is one of the active people in the teleconferences and he does not try to
bend POSIX to follow what is in use on RH-Linux.

I remember several cases where he helped to convince GNU people to make their
programs POSIX compliant.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin