[TUHS] System Economics (was is Linux "officially branded UNIX")

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Wed Mar 15 17:55:13 AEST 2017

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> But the improvement happened *because of the economics of the system*.

I guess that's true. My experience is that GNU Awk (gawk) was used on
the side a lot, alongside Unix awk on Unix systems.  When gawk became
*the* awk on Linux systems, that's when it really started getting pounded
on, and that's when many of the significant bugs and/or performance
issues got shaken out.

I suspect that this is true of the other major GNU tools, such as
Bash, coreutils, etc.

Arnold