[TUHS] X, Suntools, and the like

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 21:03:32 AEST 2017

I realized after writing that I was being slightly unfair since one valid
use case that DOES work correctly is something like:
ssh -X <some host> <command that uses X>
This is occasionally handy, although the best use case I can think of is
running a browser on some internet-facing machine so as to temporarily
change your IP address, and this use case isn't exactly bulletproof since
at least google chrome will look for a running instance and hand over to it
(despite that instance having a different DISPLAY= setting). Nevertheless
my point stands which is that IMO a programmatic API (either through .so or
.dll linkage, or through ioctls or dedicated syscalls) should be the first
resort and anything else fancy such as remoting, domain specific languages,
/proc or fuse type interfaces, whatever, should be done through extra
layers as appropriate. You shouldn't HAVE to use them.
cheers, Nick

On Mar 15, 2017 9:15 PM, "Tim Bradshaw" <tfb at tfeb.org> wrote:

On 15 Mar 2017, at 01:13, Nick Downing <downing.nick at gmail.com> wrote:

> But the difficulty with X Windows is that the remoting layer is always
there, even though it is almost completely redundant today.

It's redundant if you don't ever use machines which you aren't physically
sitting next to and want to run any kind of graphical tool run on them.  I
do that all the time.

--tim