[TUHS] X, Suntools, and the like

Kurt H Maier khm at sciops.net
Thu Mar 16 02:40:06 AEST 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 12:12:12AM +1100, Nick Downing wrote:
> Hmm well that DOES sound a bit patronizing, no offence taken though, I
> think it's more that I almost never use graphical tools, well at least not
> for any sysadmin or development type work. In the last day I ran chromium
> browser, xviewer (AKA eye of gnome), xreader (AKA evince), the gimp,
> libreoffice writer, and (currently) mplayer... these are all exclusively
> because I HAD to work with an inherently graphical resource, so there was
> no reasonable alternative but to run those programs. For anything else I
> would use the command line (occasionally I do DSP type stuff with
> matplotlib or gamey type stuff with pygame I guess). I can't honestly see a
> use case where I would ever want to run any of those programs on a server,

Your usage habits are not natural laws.  I'm a systems administrator
too, and I use X11 forwarding every single day, on dozens of different
programs.

It's all very well for X11's networking tools to be useless for you.
That doesn't make them useless in general, and it doesn't mean the
functionality should be deleted.

khm