[TUHS] System Economics (was is Linux "officially branded UNIX")

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Mar 16 05:45:24 AEST 2017

Sorry -- finger fumble...

SVR4 (aka UnixWare) was available for source  - the problem is many people
did like the price to see it.   It was $100K.  But the source was available
it was open and many, many of people with PC and had access to it, wrote
drivers for it etc.  There were books published about it.  It was hardly
secret.

That said, BSDi was $1K until the law suite and the pretty reasonable at
the time, and NET2 would eventually become free in the same way as Linux -
purely a copying fee.

Linus has gone on record if he had know about the 386BSD download, he would
have used it. It was a case of not knowing.   But as Larry points out, some
people still are not happy with the results.  It's also not clear that
people like me would still not gotten scared when the court case came --
which clouded things...

I'm not sating Linux was (and is not) important.

Just saying please don't say UNIX was not Open.   It was.  Unix was not
Free.