[TUHS] [Uucp] News readers

William Pechter pechter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 07:31:38 AEST 2017

Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2017, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:24:22AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>>> Then, perhaps a better news reader. Any preferences :-)
>> So far I've though of (and found)
> [...]
>
> After going through several readers, I ended up with "trn".  Also, Alpine
> has a passable reader.

Trn and tin should both be reasonable.  I think trn4 and tin may be a
bit past the mid 80's.
I seem to remember tin was in the early 1990s (wikipedia says 1991) and
trn was probably just a little earlier.

Rn was pretty much the standard newsreader in the old days when we still
did news via serial port.
Trn will build on newer machines and does run in rn mode.

Bill