[TUHS] System Economics (was is Linux "officially branded UNIX")

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Mar 17 08:17:34 AEST 2017

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017, Norman Wilson wrote:

> (Contrary to the rude stories one hears, those diags were in fact pretty
> thorough.)

They sure were...  We had a problem with our RK-11 when running Unix, and
because it never showed up with RSX it must've been the fault of Unix,
right?

Wrong...  The DEC gingerbeer turned up with something called "DECEX" (for
DEC exerciser); it was menu-driven, and you could exercise as much of the
system as you wanted (simultaneously).  Well, it found that overlapped
seeks were not implemented properly on the RK-11 (which Unix used but RSX
didn't, and neither did their standard diags).  One quick FCO later, and
it was fixed; red faces on the part of DEC...