[TUHS] X, Suntools, and the like

Robert Swierczek rmswierczek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 09:29:23 AEST 2017

Here is my 2 cents to add: I think both approaches have their pro's
and con's.  This is what I would like to see in an ideal remote GUI
environment (I'll use the X11 convention for display server and
application client):

Mostly stateless as in VNC, little or no round-tripping of messages.

Client application contains a very small library (not a whole GUI
rendering library as needed by remote desk-topping).  Lighter than
Xlib.  Maybe on the order of curses.  Suitable for embedded devices.

Client should be tolerant of server going down and reconnecting (as in
VNC) because of a crash or migration.

User should see their application rendered in the servers widget scheme.

Server can be implemented natively or in a browser.

Some form of remote OpenGL supported (as in JS/WebGL)