[TUHS] X, Suntools, and the like

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Sat Mar 18 00:39:21 AEST 2017

On 3/16/2017 8:13 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> I'd be stoked if X11 had an RDP extension or something. I have no idea if
> that makes sense but RDP is the shit.

Check out VNC - you run a "server" on the remote side, and the VNC
client on the client side. The advantage is that everything you run
stays running on the remote side.

I use this setup all the time for a security-conscious Fortune 100
company I consult for, as well as personally.

Now, of course, it can be argued that VNC has it's security problems,
some of which stem from X11 itself. For example, I can't tell you how
many people do an "xhost +" either manually or (to my horror) in
.vnc/xstartup - But that's X11's problem not VNC.

Add "ssh -X" to all of this.