[TUHS] GNU vs BSD before the lawsuit and before Linux

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Sat Mar 18 04:16:35 AEST 2017

Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Many of the gnu tools started life as BSD code that was hacked on and
> rebranded with the GPL. [context brutally snipped]

This brings up questions about how GNU and BSD operated around 1990ish.
I'm aware of Bostic's campaign to replace the AT&T code in BSD, which led
to the almost-completely-free Net/2. What I wonder is how much of this was
duplicating work also done under the GNU umbrella? How much of it was
authors donating their rewritten utilities to both projects? What was the
state of the GNU project when Bostic started his campaign?

Tony.
Dover, Wight, Portland, Plymouth: Southwest 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 except
in Plymouth. Moderate or rough. Fair then occasional rain. Good, occasionally
poor.