[TUHS] System Economics (was is Linux "officially branded UNIX")

Josh Good pepe at naleco.com
Sat Mar 18 07:20:55 AEST 2017

On 2017 Mar 15, 20:45, Clem Cole wrote:

> Josh -- all I am asking is you to be respectful of the term and the folks
> that created it, industry and frankly the market and opportunity that Linux
> and today's tech has so wonderful exploited.

Clem, I am respectful of you and of all the list members from whose
experience and direct contact with "primordial Unix" I try to constantly
learn.

I, however, try to express opinion on the "openness" of Unix (post
V7). Nobody has been able to write a Unix from scratch without having had
access to the Unix source code: Tannenbaum had access to the Unix sources
before writing Minix, Linus had access to Minix source before writing
Linux, and in Dennis Ritchie's opinion Coherent was a "rewritten Unix"
done with the Unix sources printed next to the keyboard ("some parts
were written with our source nearby, but at least the effort had been
made to rewrite").

GNU rewrote all the surrounding Unix tools from scratch, that's true,
but they could not a kernel make.

So much for "openness of concepts".

It's the source that matters. Anything else, is ivory-towerism.

Post Lions' book being forbidden, Unix can boast little openness.

> I do fear a problem is that you seem to be equating "open" with "having
> access to the source" - where as the term was coined to mean "the ideas are
> available for all to see and share in" - as in a mathematical, and academic
> style of openness.

Regards,

--
Josh Good